Image Hosted by ImageShack.usE-Mail Me

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Get your own free Blogoversary button!


Meez 3D avatar avatars games


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Cathy~TWLK. Make your own badge here.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us




Socktoberfest2010


  • Chili Soup
  • French Toast Bake
  • Pumpkin Cheesecake Squares
  • Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Stir 'n Drop Oatmeal Cookies


  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Completed Blanket
  • Comfort Knitters...
  • Images of Received Squares


  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


    Please Visit The Shawl Ministry


    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    medal-blog-button


    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us FingerlessGlovesKnitalong MultiDirectionalKnitalong

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us




    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

    Thursday, August 23, 2007

    ~For Mom~

    After so much suffering, the heart of our family has passed away.


    click

    Eulogy for Mom

    Family……. such a small word but it is a word that defines my mother. Family is what she lived for. She loved her family with all her heart and she shared that gift with me. So many happy days spent at my Grandma’s house with Mom, baking Italian cookies (lots and lots of cookies), patient hours spent attempting to train my small hands how to tie a cherry cookie into a passable knot (I failed miserably), or learning to twist a tarale (I fared better with those) frosting the mountains of cookies that they baked for any and all occasions (you can never have too many cookies!) and, all the while, finding comfort in their happy talking, laughter and love.

    I remember warm days sitting on the swing under the grapevines listening to their stories about Mom’s first attempts at baking when she was young – evidently having a very large backyard garden to bury those attempts in was a blessing. We were lucky that she did all that practicing because, by the time I was growing up, there was never a need to dispose of anything she made -- especially her cakes!

    What wonderful cakes we had! No store-bought frosting, plastic decoration, or packaged candy flowers ever went on one of Mom’s cakes. The cakes became another canvas for her to create on. She made beautiful three-tiered birthday cakes and shower cakes (for the people she loved the most) but my favorite cake was the Valentine’s Day intertwined heart cakes we had every year.

    Valentine’s Day was a huge celebration in our house, with decorations in every room, presents, wonderful food, cake and love. It was a celebration of Mom and Dad’s engagement and the love they shared and there was never a thought of them going off for a romantic dinner alone in a fancy restaurant. It had to be celebrated the right way…. with family.

    Mom was incredibly good at just about everything she did and she was never too busy or too tired to teach whoever wanted to learn from her. She taught me to knit and crochet, how to embroider and sew, how to mend clothes and design new ones, how to cook, bake and clean the house the “right way”. She made matching Easter dresses for herself and me every year when I was young that were more beautiful than anything bought in a store. I remember watching her paint when I was little and her enthusiasm and encouragement with my feeble attempts at copying her.

    She had a beautiful voice and loved music and dancing. I don’t think a day went by that the stereo was silent in her house. She welcomed all of my friends in and they promptly became family. I’ve been reminded recently of the midnight “snacks” Mom would have waiting for us, usually fudge, and if it hadn’t chilled enough to cut into squares, she’d pull spoons out and we’d dig right in and enjoy it anyway -- all the while telling stories, jokes, laughing.

    She loved her sisters and brothers deeply and the times spent with them were treasured. The holidays and Sunday’s spent with family are memories my children and I will carry with us forever. She instilled in us a deep love of family and the loyalty that goes with it. She loved us with all her heart but when her grandchildren were born, that heart belonged to them. Reading books, singing songs, going for walks, weekly sleepovers, even sitting in the little tykes pool wasn’t above her if they asked her to!

    The night before she passed away was spent talking and laughing and when we were alone she told me that she couldn’t wait to see her Mother, but that she would never be ready to leave her “Honey” (my Dad), me, Mark or her “kids”. She asked us to stay until she was in bed and when that was done and she was holding my hand, she said “Isn’t this a wonderful way to go to sleep? and I’ll see you tomorrow”.

    It is such an empty and lonely feeling to realize that your Mother is no longer here to talk to, laugh with or cry with, but I know in my heart that she is with her Mom, her sisters and brother in a place where there is no more pain and suffering. Her love lives on in her grandchildren, me, Dad and all those that she loved. It is now up to us to continue her love of family, keeping her forever alive in our hearts.

    Thank you Mom for the wonderful memories. You were a truly remarkable and loving woman and our world is a lot smaller without you in it.


    Click

    Comments on "~For Mom~"

     

    Blogger ~Kristie said ... (8/24/2007) : 

    Oh my goodness Cathy, I'm so deeply deeply sorry for the loss of your mother. Tears welled up in my eyes as I read your beautiful tribute to her and a lot of the things you love about your mom, remind me of the wonderful things I love about mine.

    I wish you peace and you are definitely in my heart.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/24/2007) : 

    Oh Cathy, I'm so sorry.
    Karen
    http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

     

    Blogger Karen said ... (8/24/2007) : 

    My heart is just breaking for you, as I type through the tears. Your mother was such a remarkable woman and I know how much she will be missed. I will be thinking of all of you. I love you.

     

    Blogger Cindy said ... (8/24/2007) : 

    Oh my. I cannot express my sorrow for you and yours. I'm so blessed to have my mother. Although I care for her and she can no longer live alone, the knowledge that one day she will leave me breaks my heart. Your Mom sounds so loving and lovely. I know you'll carry her love in your heart always.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/24/2007) : 

    Oh Cathy, I am so very sorry.
    Believe it or not, you've been on my mind for the past couple of days and I was planning on sending you an email this morning to check on you.
    Such a lovely tribute to your mom. It brought tears to my eyes.

     

    Blogger pacalaga said ... (8/24/2007) : 

    My condolences on your painful loss. She sounds like a wonderful woman. I lost my mother years ago, and spent the weekend wandering haunts from my childhood and smiling, remembering her and all the things she loved about the place.

     

    Blogger Rositta said ... (8/24/2007) : 

    Cathy, I have also been thinking of you recently. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your Mother. It's just four months since I buried mine, the pain and sadness will slowly fade a little but we will always miss our Mother. Your eulogy is beautiful, take care of yourself...love:)

     

    Blogger AmyArtisan said ... (8/24/2007) : 

    So sorry to hear about your loss Cathy - what a wonderful rememberance of your Mom. My thoughts & prayers are with you & your family!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/25/2007) : 

    Cath, even though I sat in church and heard you read that memorial to your mom. I am still crying as I read it again. It is hard to believe that Aunt G is gone, she like Gramma were so lively when they were here. I am very happy that I was able to come up for the service and already find myself missing you and the kids more than I realized. It takes the loss of a family member to make you realize how much everyone means to you. Love you dearly. Chrissy

     

    Blogger Larjmarj said ... (8/28/2007) : 

    I am so sorry, It sounds like you had a wonderful mother who will always live on in your heart.

     

    Blogger Kristy said ... (8/30/2007) : 

    Ahh, Cathy. I am so sorry to read of your mother's passing. She was a lovely woman - by all accounts, inside and out - and my heart aches for your loss. This is a beautiful tribute and I will be praying for you and your family. I hope you will all find peace and hold tightly to the wonderful memories.

     

    Blogger Debi said ... (9/05/2007) : 

    Cathy, I'm so asd for your loss. Your Mom sounds like such a wonderful woman! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers (((Cathy)))

     

    Blogger Laura said ... (9/06/2007) : 

    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/06/2007) : 

    I am so sorry to hear about your Mom's passing. My thoughts are with you right now my dear. ((hugs))

     

    Blogger Kimberly said ... (9/07/2007) : 

    I'm sooo sorry! Life just has to stop throwing the punches at you. I can't imagine how hard it is for you. I hope these HUGSS get to you.

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/22/2007) : 

    Wow...what a BEAUTIFUL tribute to your mom, I have tears in my eyes reading this. She would be so proud of you C. My mom's presence is with me every day, Im sure you can relate, given the bond you shared with your mom.

    Sending you a big hug.
    G

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/24/2007) : 

    I miss reading your posts Cathy, hope you are doing ok.

    I tagged you if you feel like doing a list. I just wrote mine and of course, included my mom on the list. She is always on my mind.

    Huggggs, G

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/16/2007) : 

    Just thought Id send a note and a big hug to you Cathy. If you are feeling like me, this time of year is making the loss even harder, I'm sure it is for you too. Do take care.

    Huggs, Geraldine

     

    post a comment