Image Hosted by ImageShack.usE-Mail Me

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Get your own free Blogoversary button!


Meez 3D avatar avatars games


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Cathy~TWLK. Make your own badge here.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us




Socktoberfest2010


  • Chili Soup
  • French Toast Bake
  • Pumpkin Cheesecake Squares
  • Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Stir 'n Drop Oatmeal Cookies


  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Completed Blanket
  • Comfort Knitters...
  • Images of Received Squares


  • Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


    Please Visit The Shawl Ministry


    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    medal-blog-button


    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us FingerlessGlovesKnitalong MultiDirectionalKnitalong

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us




    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

    Wednesday, October 18, 2006

    ~Socktoberfest Post~

    This is my VERY LATE Socktoberfest sock questionnaire post! I hope I'm not too late on this, life just seemed to get the best of me lately. I am looking forward to trying to catch up with all of the Socktoberfest fun ~~ so here goes!

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

    1. When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I taught myself how to knit socks. I was ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED of the needles, the heel, the toe EVERYTHING! I kept my few trusty reference books near me, used the internet if I got too confused and plugged away. The first sock I knit was a Christmas Tree Ornament sock - it hooked me. I just can't imagine how the first person to ever knit a sock came up with it! It is truly genius and NEVER boring!
    2. What was your first pair? My first wearable pair of socks were a basic 2 x 2 rib at the top, ankle high pair of clog/house socks. Toasty warm and fun to knit - I have to say that I was TOTALLY fascinated turning a heel - making the toe, Kitchener stitching! IT WAS DEFINATELY MAGIC! I don't remember what yarn I used for them, but these are similar. I have since made all sizes, colors and shapes, but unfortunately I didn't take pics of many of the adult socks before they were gifted (I NEED to keep more for me).
    3. What would you have done differently? I would have used a softer yarn, but at the time I didn't know much about socks, sock yarn or all of the wonderfulness out there! There were no LYS's around here that I knew of and large craft stores didn't have the variety of yarns they carry now. The internet didn't occur to me as a place to look for "sock yarn". I also had a trying time teaching myself dpn's (I was using cheapo metal ones that kept sliding out of my stitches), I wish I had known what was out there to chose from.
    4. What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? I like Trekking XXL a lot, A LOT! I love the colors, I love the way it works up, it is fun to watch what the colors will do next. I've used Reynolds Swizzle and Kroy, I want to try the Koigu and I have a lovely skein of Fleece Artist here waiting for me to knit it up along with lots and lots of others in my sock yarn drawer(s) ;). I also have had my eye on some gorgeous colorways from Scout - I missed the first ordering of the Socktoberfest Colorway due to some serious computer issues :(
    5. Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? Although I have crocheted for years and years, I have so far only knit socks on DPNs. I can NOT knit socks with metal dpn's of ANY kind, I am a total klutz with them. They slide out, end up on the floor and ruin my sock knitting fun! I have the Magic Loop pamphlet sitting here waiting for me to give it a go and I also would like to try two socks on two circs some day, I just really enjoy my dpns and keep putting it off.
    6. Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) I love the heel flap - absolutely. I love everything about it, and it's fun to do! I've only done short rows once and I wasn't all that fond of it. I do have a LOT of sock books and plan on making myself try different styles of heels and I suppose I should try the short rows again just to give it a fair chance.
    7. How many pairs have you made? I have made probably 9 - 11 pairs of adult socks and at least a dozen pair of baby socks - and 1 & 1/2 pair of sock earrings - those 00000 dpn's will poke a hole in your finger like you wouldn't believe! lol

    *********************************************************

    Socks are truly my favorite thing to knit, I take them with me for something to knit on while I wait and watch sports and they are a fantastic conversation piece. People seem to be fascinated that someone would knit something they could buy at Walmart and most don't "get it" when I try to explain that the two can't be compared. DPN's totally fascinate people and keep fidgety kids still and somewhat mesmerized which endears me to most of their Mom's ! lol I often forget to post pictures on this blog of finished socks because they are always going - I guess I should be more aware :)

    Comments on "~Socktoberfest Post~"

     

    Blogger Karen said ... (10/19/2006) : 

    I don't think it's ever too late to post the Socktoberfest questionnaire. I really enjoyed reading your answers. :) You can totally do two socks on two circs. That was my Olympic challenge, but it was much easier than I had imagined it would be. :)

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/19/2006) : 

    great sock history! Loved reading your awnsers, and I love your sock earings ; )

     

    Blogger Larjmarj said ... (10/22/2006) : 

    Those wee sock earrings are too cute!

     

    post a comment